Don’t let being stuck at home get in the way of your beauty – and skin care – regime. With more time on your hands, you can focus on self-care first for a change. Here are 5 simple ways you can keep your skin glowing, your lips soft and your body happy- the Island Routes way!
Homemade lip scrubs are easy to make. All you need are some simple ingredients that are most likely right in your pantry:
If you don’t have these items, don’t worry. You can always substitute each item for what you do have at home. Per your choice, you can replace Olive oil with any other sealing oil like coconut oil; you can replace the peppermint oil with spearmint essential oil or all together removed if you prefer; you can substitute granulated sugar with brown sugar;and you can replace the grapeseed oil with canola oil.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to your jar.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of sugar into your olive oil.
- Add 10 drops of peppermint oil into your mixture.
- Add ½ tablespoon of grapeseed oil.
- Stir well.
There you have it! You’ve made your own sugar-mint lip scrub! All that’s left to do, is for you to apply the mixture to your lips in a circular motion, then rinse with lukewarm water to reveal smooth and supple lips! You can store the rest in a cool place until later.
Another way that your skin can stay refreshed amidst the sleepless nights, is to do a face mask. Luckily we have a recipe for that too. Here is what you’ll need:
Like we said before, if you don’t have these items in stock, you can always replace or remove at will. Use whichever egg you prefer, brown shelled or white shelled; you can replace honey with corn or maple syrup; oats with rice bran or quinoa flakes and olive oil can be replaced with coconut oil.
- Break the egg into the bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon of honey.
- Then add 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Afterwards add ½ cup of oatmeal
- Stir well.
And boom! You have your own breakfast-face mask! Apply the mixture to your face and let sit for 20 minutes, rinse with lukewarm water and apply your usual moisturizer or face wash.
Speaking of face washes, we have the tea for that too! You can try this recipe that leaves your face clean and moisturized without the irritation that you would get from soaps. Yes, we said it, this recipe is soap free! All you need is:
Additionally, in this recipe, you can replace the honey with corn syrup, water can be replaced (we kid you not) with hydrosol; you can use sweet almond oil to replace avocado oil. Another thing is, you don’t need lavender oil but it is good for relaxation; you can also replace lemon oil with fresh lemon or lemon juice if you prefer. You may not need Chamomile oil, however, it can also help you with relaxation; a spoon can be replaced with a popsicle stick, a saucepan may or may not be necessary depending on the consistency of your honey, a soap dispenser with any dispensing/ storage container of your choice, and a funnel may or may not be necessary Let’s get into it!
If the honey is thick:-
- Pour 2 tablespoons of water into a clean saucepan.
- Add ⅓ cup of honey to your saucepan.
- Heat gently and stir constantly until the honey has completely mixed into the water.
- Add 15 drops of lavender oil, 10 drops of lemon oil and 10 drops of chamomile oil to your mixture and mix well.
- Pour your mixture through your funnel into your dispenser.
Otherwise, if the honey has a more runny consistency, you can skip the heating and move right into pouring the ingredients including the water into the dispenser and shake well.
Now you have your own soap-less honey face wash. We know what you’re thinking, ‘honey that you does not need to be rinsed off?’ Honey is antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and nurtures the skin. Give it a try, you won’t regret it.
Yes, we got you on the waxing as well! Here is a quick and easy recipe that you can create from the comfort of your home. Here is what you will need:
If you don’t have these items readily available, you can substitute the granulated sugar with brown sugar, the lemon juice with fresh lemon and the measuring cup with any measuring tool of your choice.
- Mix 2 cups of sugar, ¼ cup of lemon juice and ¼ cup of water in the saucepan with a wooden spoon and place on high heat.
- When the mixture becomes frothy, set the heat to medium, stirring constantly until the mixture becomes golden brown. This should take between 5-10 minutes.
- Your mixture should now be a waxy consistency. Remove the pan from the heat and let cool for 30 minutes.
- Test your mixture to ensure it is not too hot and is perfectly waxy. If you think you more time for your mixture to cool, you can check in at 5 minute intervals. If the mixture has hardened, resume heating on low heat; both until you gain the desired temperature.
- Transfer your mixture to a bowl.
And now you have your own lemon-scented sugar wax! You can apply as desired with a popsicle stick or place your wax in a glass jar for storage. Costly trips to the spa? Well spend no more 😂or at least a bit less 😉.
This is the moment you’ve all been waiting for! You’ve applied your lip scrub, put on your face mask, done your face wash and have just completed your waxing. It’s time to give your body that scrub it deserves! Here is what you’ll need to make it:
You can replace the brown sugar with granulated sugar (brown sugar just gives your scrub that evenly brown look), the coconut oil with olive oil, the vanilla extract with almond extract, a spoon with a popsicle stick, a bowl with any mixing container and the wide glass jar with any storage container you have in your inventory.
If you do not have finely grounded coffee:
- Place 1 cup of coffee beans in your bullet or blender and ground finely.
- Mix ½ cup of finely grounded coffee and ½ cup of brown sugar in your bowl.
- Add ½ cup of coconut oil into the mixture and 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract.
- Mix well.
- Transfer your mixture to your jar.
In 5 simple steps, you have made your own coffee body scrub. To use, rub in gentle motions across your skin; rinse and apply your favorite moisturizer.
There you have it! 5 beauty hacks that you can try at home! Brought to you by your loyal service provider, Island Routes Caribbean Adventures. This is definitely an adventure you can take on, at home 😊.
Have you been taking our #RouteBackToParadise? Check out these immunity boosters: Click Here.
Island Routes Caribbean Adventures:
Island Routes Caribbean Adventures was founded in 2009 to feature the very best, off-the-beaten-path voyages to travelers and adventure seekers far and wide. Operating in 12 countries – Antigua; Aruba; the Bahamas; Barbados; the Cayman Islands; Dominican Republic; Grenada; Jamaica; Mexico; Saint Lucia; St. Maarten and the Turks & Caicos, this award-winning lifestyle management company includes a dedicated team of islanders, sea-mates, adventure-seekers and experiential-masters who spotlight the best-of-the-best expeditions and destinations for everyone. The team at Island Routes believes in fostering positive change to the Caribbean business landscape, upholding the company’s vision to nurture the region with the development of sustainability programs and both land and sea preservation efforts. For more information, visit www.islandroutes.com.